Saturday, June 26, 2010

Old Fashioned Granola.....yum



Granola is big in our house. Townes loves his granola made with love by his Nomi (Jason's mom), Jason eats a granola bar daily, and I.... well, until recently, granola and I had been on speaking terms, but not really fostering a relationship..... until now.

Like I said, Jason's mom used to make Townes granola about once a month, and we would use it sparingly for Townes' meals. Townes is allergic to peanut and egg, so that pretty much rules out every store bought granola bar. One day,I tried this Nomi-made granola, and it spoke to me.. sweet, chewy, yum. I finally bribed her into sharing the recipe, so now I can make the granola whenever I feel inspired.


Yesterday, I felt inspired.


Homemade Granola
  • 5 cups of Quick Oats

  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar

  • 2/3 cup honey

  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted

  • 1/2 cup unprocessed bran

  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

  • 2 tsp cinnamon

  • 3/4 cup dried cherries, blueberries, raisins, or whatever your little heart desires.... You could even use (dare I say it?) chocolate
  1. Preheat the over to 325. Combine oats, brown sugar, honey, melted butter, bran, cinnamon, and vanilla into a large bowl. Stir until all is coated and looking delicious.

  2. Spread mixture onto a lightly greased jelly roll pan (aka, baking sheet with sides.)

  3. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring once.

  4. Remove from over and stir in dried fruit while granola is still warm.

  5. VERY IMPORTANT. Press granola into the pan with a spatula. This will not only create a flatter granola, it will also encourage it to stick together.

  6. Cool completely. Break apart and store in a covered container in the refrigerator.




My first go-round with the granola, it didn't stick together, which prompted the push-technique with your spatula. Have no fear! If you forget to push the granola and it, like mine, doesn't stick, you'll have delicious cereal in the morning. And if you happen to try the "dough" raw, be warned, it's fantastic... you may not want to cook the granola!

2 comments:

  1. okay i am so going to try this. esp with some fresh picked blueberries???!!! I love your blog. I love to cook and always love finding new recipes!!!! you rock girl

    Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Miss Hollie! I think it would be fantastic with fresh blueberries! I have some in my fridge- maybe I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete