Saturday, July 17, 2010

Things that make you go mmmmmmmmm.....


You ever have one of those dishes that just feels like a big pan of love? This is one of those dishes for me. It started quite simply. Lindsey (Jason's mom) would talk about visiting Colorado and her sister prepared this Potato Basil Frittata. Now would be a good time to introduce you to the woman who created this dish for us. I like to call her my soulmate, but most people just call her the Barefoot Contessa. If you haven't heard of her, you haven't lived. This dish contained many ingredients that I was clueless about near the beginning of my marriage... Gruyere? Fresh Basil? And more than that, I'm going to bake eggs? But Jason and I made this dish together the first time we tried the recipe, almost three years ago, and we're still loving the goodness out of it. And as far as frittatas go, it's fairly easy. Everything takes a little bit of time, but if you're a planner like me, I'm sure you'll have all the ingredients waiting in the fridge for showtime.

I served my frittata with sautéed zucchini as a side dish, but you could do anything from a salad to some sausage. Or, even better, make these delicious hashed browns which are also featured in BFC's book, Family Style. (If you're really daring, buy the book and make the blueberry muffins. Oh.my.god. Or just wait until I make them and post the recipe!)


Potato Basil Frittata

Ingredients

-8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
-2 cups peeled and 1/2-inch diced boiling potatoes (4 potatoes)
-8 extra-large eggs
-15 ounces ricotta cheese
-3/4 pound Gruyere cheese, grated
-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
-1/3 cup flour
-3/4 teaspoon baking powder


Directions
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a 10-inch ovenproof omelet pan over medium-low heat. Add the potatoes and fry them until cooked through, turning often, about 10 to 15 minutes. Melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter in a small dish in the microwave.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, then stir in the ricotta, Gruyere, melted butter, salt, pepper, and basil. I use about 1/2 fresh and 1/2 dried basil. It's all up to you and your preferences, but be sure that if you're using dried basil, use less than 3/4 a cup- dried basil packs more of a punch than fresh. Sprinkle on the flour and baking powder and stir into the egg mixture.

Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and place the pan in the center of the oven. Bake the frittata until it is browned and puffed, 50 minutes to 1 hour. It will be rounded and firm in the middle and a knife inserted in the frittata should come out clean. Serve hot.


Fresh basil, Jason's favorite

Whatever you do, don't pronounce this gooey-air.
That makes French people cry.

4 comments:

  1. This looks SO yummy! And gruyere? Mmmmmm.....

    I need to add this to my menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love Gruyere?? I was just stalking your blog today, Miss Sarah! Your girls are getting so big- I remember when Mia loved to come to my Baby Bookworms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We grew basil this year, but I don't know what to do with it. Maybe I'll try this??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. I think we'll try it soon.

    ReplyDelete